Friday, September 14, 2007

Ramen

Do you know "ramen"? Ramen is a traditional Japanese noodle soup. I LOVE IT! It's so yummy!!

According to Wikipedia, ramen is "a Japanese dish of noodles served in broth that originated in China. It tends to be served in a meat-based broth, and uses toppings such as sliced pork, seaweed, kamaboko, green onions, and even corn. Almost every locality or prefecture in Japan has its own variation of ramen, from the tonkotsu ramen of Kyūshū to the miso ramen of Hokkaidō." If you think ramen and instant noodle are the same, you may be wrong. You should eat ramen in Japanese restaurant, then you'll know the differences.

There are a lot of restaurants which serve ramen in Japan. As wikipedia says above, various types of ramen exist in Japan, and each prefecture has its own variation of ramen. For example, people think that ramen in Hokkaido, north area of Japan, is Miso ramen, and ramen in Tokyo is Shoyu (soy sauce) ramen. For me, ramen means Tonkotsu (pork bone) ramen. I reckon it's the most delicious ramen in the world. When I was in Japan, I often went to ramen restaurant, but every time my order was Tonkotsu ramen. Though I also like other types of ramen, I love Tonkotsu ramen so much.

Unfortunately, ramen in Sydney is a bit more expensive than that in Japan. In my hometown, I can eat ramen around AU$5, but average AU$8 here. I had ramen in some Japanese restaurant in Sydney. I want to introduce some of them.


Tokyo ramen ($8.30) / Ichi-ban Boshi
★★★ (out of 5)



Ichi-ban Boshi is a popular Japanese restaurant in townhall. Every time I go there, many people are forming a queue. My best friend, Ella, likes this restaurant, so we often go there and have a dinner and enjoy chatting. Tokyo ramen is Shoyu (soy sauce) ramen. I like to order Tokyo ramen with boiled egg (extra topping $1.00). If you go to Ichi-ban Boshi, you should try it. I like the taste of Tokyo ramen, but a little bit salty. Attitudes of staff customers are not bad (but sometimes I think some of them are a bit arrogant). The quantity of meal is not too small, not too large. If I'm starving, one dish of ramen may not be enough for me, cause I have a big stomach.


Menya ramen ($7.50) / Menya
★★★★ (out of 5)



This ramen is yummy. It's Tonkotsu (pork bone) ramen, which my favorite, and its fine and straight type of noodle is similar to my hometown's ramen. It's served with many toppings, which are dried pressed laver, Jew's-ear, bean sprouts, spring onion, sesame seed, menma(*) and roasted pork fillet (If the names are incorrect, I'm sorry). I like these toppings, specially roasted pork fillet is tasty. This ramen is heavy, so I don't recommend it to people who like light food. One thing which I realized was every female staff of Menya is slim. How come?
Are you interested in Menya? It's located near by my school.
Shop TG8 Quay St Haymarket NSW

*Menma = bamboo shoots which have been boiled, dried or preserved in salt, soaked in hot water and then seasoned for use in Chinese food. (according to Kenkyusha's new college Japanese-English dictionary)

No comments: